Thursday 15 March 2012

Lecture One

If English writer William Hazlitt's, "first impressions are often the truest," is in fact accurate, then JOUR1111 - Introduction to Journalism and Communications is looking to be an excellent course.

The first journalism lecture, and coincidentally the very first lecture of my university life, was at once entertaining and intriguing. Dr. Bruce Redman's enthusiasm was contagious. After a little bit of sniffing around that evening, I discovered he's not only produced award winning documentaries and drama, and interviewed famous movie stars but was arrested filming outside the White House, and at 2:00am nonetheless, an experience he conveniently failed to mention... My sense of intrigue was heightened to say the least.

In this introductory lecture Bruce (or rather, our newly established 'person of interest') identified the current challenges of journalism, introduced himself and his faculty, talked broadly about the field of journalism and detailed the technicalities of lectures, tutorials, and assessment.

The flexibility of the course and the free reign we as students, as budding journalists in fact, appear to have is liberating. It seems as though I am able to customise the course, make it my own. I can write about what interests me, and what makes me tick. This blog, my creative outlet.

It seems the perfect place to both celebrate and refine my love of writing, film, news, fashion and photography.

The excitement begins...


No comments:

Post a Comment