Wednesday 14 March 2012

University

Just before I entered the hallowed halls of the University of Queensland as a 2012 first year, I read this quote by Anton Chekhov;

"University brings out all abilities, including incapability"

Not exactly the predictable words of wisdom I was yearning for...

Something like Benjamin Disraeli's "A University is a place of light, of liberty, and of learning" or Robert Goheen's "University is a wonderful opportunity to find out not just much more about the world, but much more about yourself, too" would have sufficed.

I guess in that lies the power of the unexpected. When you allow yourself to be surprised and, by pure chance, avoid being caught up in the mundane, predictable or cliche. That's what transforms something momentarily satisfying, into something lasting and memorable.

My previously 'grand' view of university, born from Disraeli and Goheen-like sentiment, was broken down by reality. Simple things like my utter inability to connect to the university's wireless network, the rarity of a carpark, and the essentiality of the UQ Nav iPhone application.

The reality is what grounds me.

No comments:

Post a Comment