Thursday 7 June 2012

Lecture Twelve

MolksTVTalk
This lecture seemed to come at the perfect time. As I blogged earlier, I am in the midst of a serious 'twobsession' (twitter obsession), and have obviously become more and more addicted to the blogging discipline. Thus, our guest lecturer - entertainment blogger Steve Molk - was perfectly suited to my current interests.

He began by asserting that each and every one of us involved in the journalistic discipline, as well as elsewhere, have created and must control our own personal brand. A brand that will grow, shape and develop along with us. This brand allows for us to angle the deliverance of a certain story tailored to what we stand for, what we enjoy, who we are.

Interestingly, he described the label "blogger" as cringeworthy. To be honest, when I first learnt that we were required to write a blog for this course, I cringed myself despite having always loved many other blogs. I was not at all looking forward to the process, in fact dreading it would not be an understatement. However, as I began to write about the lectures and blog about my personal interests, I began to love it. I savour the moments where I sit down and blog about certain things. Now, when I see something or remember something I love, I immediately think to blog it. Despite my newfound love, I completely understand when Steve refers to blogging in this negative way. I think it is something that must be put into practice to really appreciate.

Steve, however, emphasises that blogging is becoming more and more influential, particularly in the world of journalism. It is growing from being somewhat naff, to a potential business opportunity - a place in which people can create a mini empire, if you will (such as Mia Freedman with her Mama Mia blog), as well as a place where someone can show their work - a digital portfolio of sorts. No longer are we entirely locked behind what the "media machine" tells us. It is a forum allowing unlimited expression. This raises the issue of who to trust. If anybody can write anything, what is the real story?

This led into talk of Twitter. Twitter has allowed us avergage joes access to the shapers and makers of the world. It is a place where you can ask anybody a question and, if they reply, you can use that information in many ways - one of which is to create a story. It is a great interactive platform which promotes succinct, brief messages in its 140 character limit requiring great restraint! Steve describes Twitter as "noisy". A place which is not only about broadcast, but rather about creating a dialogue. It allows for the instant spreadibility of news, every follower immediately notified of your tweet via their newsfeed. It has opened the world to a unique and different form of news deliverance.

Molk described that the way we understand and interpret the information given to us impacts the kind of journalists we become. He has chosen to write and talk about TV that is topical. He has had some great opportunities to interview and write about figures in the television industry, one of his favourite being his discussion with comedian Wil Anderson:

This is only part one of the extensive interview - such a good interview, take a look at all parts!

Steve's advice was to find the contacts we need and push them - take every opportunity you are presented with and not only that, but make opportunities for yourself. He said something that really stuck with me - "Exposure breeds opportunities" - so very true! Something I will definitely take forward in my career. From these opportunities you are exposed, and from this exposure, you gain an audience (very important!) and offers may spawn. He stresses that this is the forum in which to project your message.
This is where people start taking notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment